Thursday, October 1, 2009

iPods in Instruction

Ipod

My assignment for this weeks blog is to discuss the use of ipods in classroom instruction. I read the article on Duke University's use of ipods. I found it to be very interesting. I think it was a great idea the university had. Duke University gave all its first year students in 2004 a free ipod to use as part of class instruction. The students use of technology in the classroom with the ipods was a success. Again it goes back to the term head fake. Get the students involve in something that they might not necessary like, but do it in a matter that they will have fun and learn at the same time. Like incorporating the ipod into classroom instruction. Teachers can show that the ipod is used for more things than just listening to music.

I have to say that as I did this assignment I was a little unsure of the use of ipods in instruction. My 8 year old daughter has an ipod and I had no idea of the different things available for her use other than music. I learned that ipods can be used with students who struggle with reading. Stories can be downloaded to the ipod then the student can listen to the audio while they read. This will also help with reading fluency. Movie maker on ipods can be used to create your own tutorial. Students can listen to podcast of a variety of subjects and give reports on them. Older students can download study guides. Educational games are available to use to reinforce classroom materials. Ipods can be used with Hooked on Phonics programs. There are endless possibilities to use ipods in instruction with the classroom and at home. I found the following website to be very useful and plan to use some of their ideas with my own children's ipods.



No comments:

Post a Comment