Thursday, September 24, 2009

WIKIPEDIA

stack for books


I have heard of wikipedia, but I was not sure exactly what it does. I had to do a little research myself. For those of you who are not technology literate, like myself, wikipedia is a free service that provides information on just about anything. It is basically an on-line encyclopedia. The controversy seems to be with the editing factor of wikipedia. I did not realize that anyone can alter wikipedia. When big companies like Wal-mart can doctor wages then it makes you wonder who else is changing things. You begin to doubt the accuracy of the information.

The question of whether Wikipedia can be a trusted source of information is still up for question. I do think you can still find valuable information on Wikipedia, but you need to be careful of the source. I think it is great that we have the tools to trace the source of the editing. If you are going to edit information then you better be ready to take the responsibility for it. I personally would use Wikipedia as a source of information, but I think it depends on the topic you are searching whether or not you would consider the source reliable.








No comments:

Post a Comment