Sunday, September 13, 2009

Is It OK to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

I enjoyed reading the Karl Fisch post. I agree with many of his points and I understand that teachers are very busy. It is not ok for teachers to be technologically illiterate. As I a stated in an earlier post that I have know teachers who have taught for 30 years and they will tell you that they teach the "old school way". They have told me they do not like to use computers in their classrooms that much. I am not sure if it is that they are just set in their ways or if they are intimidated by the advancement in technology. I think that it is a combination of both not knowing how to use it or how to adapt it to their way of teaching. Either way I feel that these teachers are doing their students a HUGE injustice. They may have experience and be great teachers, but they are not giving their students the chance to learn with the aid of technology.



I believe that it comes back to the statement that teachers must continue to learn. It is not acceptable for teachers to be technologically illiterate at all. Teachers must continue to learn alongside their students. I also agree that no one should be proud of illiteracy. Everyone has the opportunity to learn, free use of computers at libraries, and schools have the tools available to take advantage of. We as educators have a responsibility to ourselves and our students to be Technologically Literate, it is a must in today's society.

No comments:

Post a Comment