Thursday, September 24, 2009

"What I've Learned This Year" by Mr.McClung

I thought this was a great article. It hit home for me because I had some of the same feelings my first year of teaching. I remember being scared to death. I felt like I had to be perfect all the time and that I had to know everything. I like how he starts his post,"An important decision I made this year is to stay positive." I wish I had that piece of advice my first year of teaching, but now that I am returning to the classroom after several years that will be my motto.



I like how Mr.McClung discusses that no lesson is ever perfect. Why do our college professors never tell us this valuable piece of information? Instead we struggle our 1st year to be perfect. I completely agree with him that the lessons you teach and the ones you plan are always different. I have experienced this in my own personal classroom . You have to learn how to adjust your plans, but in the long run they will work out fine. One of the most important facts that I learned my first year was that I do not have to be PERFECT. I had to cut myself some slack and realize that I am learning also. Another factor that Mr. McClung discusses is the role of communication. This is key to a great year. Not only is this important with the parents,but also with your peers. You need to know that you can turn to them for help. Everyone is their for the same purpose, the students.



Listening to your students is important. They need to know that you are paying attention to them, that they have your undivided attention. This helps you has a teacher build a trusting relationship with your students. Teacher's jobs are similar to the role of parents in a child's life. Just like at home no one is perfect, everyone wants to be listened to, and communication in the family is very important. All these qualities of a teacher and parent are key to a child's success in life. The most valuable piece of information that I could give teachers is to continue to learn. I totally agree with Mr.McClung when it comes to this subject. I am 33 years old, a mother of 3, a teacher, and I am learning something new each day. I try to view life as an adventure! Mr.McClung's post can be found at the following link http://is.gd/2c012.com

1 comment:

  1. Excellent review Kim. Mr. McClung's advice can go for higher education teachers as well ;)

    ReplyDelete