Monday, November 2, 2009

Dr. Wesch's Video

I thought the video by Dr. Wesch was very interesting. He made some valid points on where is our culture going with media. I did not grow up in the age of technology. When I first went to college in 1994 we were just being introduced and teachers were still using chalk boards. My senior year in high school I was taking a typing class. It is amazing how times have changed and how far we have come with technology. In his video Dr. Wesch gives a brief history of "whatever". I found this very amusing. He discusses how the phrase whatever has changed over the years. In the late 60's the phrase whatever holds an I don't care attitude. As we move in time to the early 1990's the MTV and Bart Simpson generation the phrase whatever became "meh". As time and meaning of phrases change so does technology. Like the history of "whatever" changes our views of technology differs compared to the generation we grew up in. We have to adapt to the changes and grow or stay stagment in the past.





you tube header

The video discusses the attraction to you tube. This is something else that I am not familiar with. My 9 year old daughter probably knows more about it then myself. I personally do not know what all the hip is all about. I do not have the time to surf you tube for entertainment. I grew up in the times when you actually have to commicate with a person face to face. I agree with the video that when you use a web camera it is not very personal. You are not actually talking to a real person. In today's society it is easier for people to responded to others on facebook, blogs, or twitter. To me this is very impersonable and how can you connect with others on this level. I like to handle things face to face that was the way I grew up. Technology is a wonderful tool, but I do not feel it is a fix all solution. I personally will use technology as a learning tool, but also incoprate traditional teachings into my classroom. Technology in the classroom is a must. I think as educators we have to find a happy medium that will benefit everyone, student and teacher. Dr. Wesch's video can be found at the following link if you would like to view it.http://is.gd/3WVVZ

1 comment:

  1. Good job Kim. I had a very difficult time reading the purple post. Please keep that in mind that some people do not have good eye sight when reading blog post. Dark text on a dark background does not make for good "graphic" design.

    ReplyDelete